James and Charlotte were just served with court papers.
They never meant to fall behind in their payments, but he was out of work for 3 months with a back injury and just couldn't help it. He's back to work now and trying to make the payments, but the creditors won't take any less than the amount needed to catch up the delinquency. He and Charlotte are losing sleep because they just don't have any place to move right now, and their kids like the school they are attending.
Hello! My name is Ed Bailey. We see this type of situation all the time and we can help. The solution … file bankruptcy. Here are some of the things that bankruptcy can do:
- It immediately stops all collection activity by all creditors, including all lawsuits and foreclosures ... dead in their tracks.
- The creditors may no longer call, write, sue, repossess, or do anything to collect the debt.
- A Chapter 13 bankruptcy gives you a payment plan to catch up missed payments over 3-5 years without any interest. In the payment plan, your purchase loans are refinanced at a low interest rate, and all unsecured creditors can be paid as little as 1% of their debt. This helps to greatly lower your monthly payment to creditors, so that you can afford to live. In a chapter 13, you can keep everything you own.
- In a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, you simply wipe out all or almost all of your debt, except that you can keep making your house and car payments if you wish to keep them.
- In some situations, either type of bankruptcy can completely get rid of second and third mortgages.
If you are in a mess like James and Charlotte, whether caused by credit overextension, unexpected expenses, reduction of income, job loss, illness/injury, or for any other reason, I sure hope you contact us right away to see what we can do for you. You can't wait too long though because, if a foreclosure or car repossession has been started, you need to file bankruptcy fast enough to stop these things from happening.
Bankruptcy Law is a Specialty
Bankruptcy law requires specialized skills and you should not trust someone who claims to be a bankruptcy lawyer, but doesn't have much experience or knowledge of bankruptcy law or of the trustees, judges, and creditor attorneys at the bankruptcy court. If you're going to pay for a bankruptcy lawyer, you should make sure you get a good one. Understandably, however, with all of the advertising, it can be difficult finding the best bankruptcy attorney.
For over 25 years, I have dedicated my law practice entirely to representing individuals like you in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcies. I do not represent corporations (although we will handle cases for individuals with small unincorporated businesses), I do not represent creditors, and I do not practice in any other area of law. My office has filed over 8,000 cases.
Because my practice is limited to bankruptcy law only, I am able to offer knowledgeable and effective representation to all of my clients with serious debt problems. I stay on top of any new developments in, or changes to, the bankruptcy laws so that you can be assured that you have the best legal representation possible.
Take Time to Browse
Since you are visiting this site, I assume that you may have financial problems and are considering bankruptcy as a possible solution. Please be sure to visit other pages at this site. For example, the getting started page gives you information on how to get started with the process; the faq page attempts to answer the questions most frequently asked of this office; and the contact us page allows you to send us your questions by email (from which we will continue to update the faq page) or to provide feedback to our office.
Bankruptcy Attorneys - Laurens, SC
To file bankruptcy in Laurens, you need an attorney licensed in South Carolina. So, please don't consult out-of state lawyers on the internet who promise to help you file cheaply. They won't be in bankruptcy court with you. Instead, you will be there all alone to answer the questions of the U.S. Trustee, which can be very difficult. Mr. Bailey, though, is licensed in SC and will be there for you every step of the way. You can be assured that you will be getting the best bankruptcy representation possible.